Highland Capital Management
Co-founder & President | Dallas, TX
James Dondero is co-founder and president of Highland Capital Management.
Mr. Dondero has over 30 years of experience in the credit and equity markets, focused largely on high-yield and distressed investing. Since inception in 1993, Highland Capital has been a pioneer in the development of the Collateralized Loan Obligation (CLO) market and in developing credit oriented solutions for institutional and retail investors world-wide. Award winning product offerings include institutional separate accounts, CLOs, hedge funds, private equity funds, mutual funds, REITs, and ETFs.
Prior to Highland Capital Management, Mr. Dondero, as Chief Investment Officer, helped create the GIC subsidiary of Protective Life from inception to over $2B between 1989 and 1993. Between 1985 and 1989, Mr. Dondero was a Corporate Bond Analyst and then Portfolio Manager at American Express. Mr. Dondero began his career as an analyst in 1984 in the Morgan Guaranty training program.
Mr. Dondero graduated from the University of Virginia with highest honors (Beta Gamma Sigma, Beta Alpha Psi) from the McIntire School of Commerce with dual majors in Accounting and Finance and has received certification as Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA), and Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA).
Mr. Dondero is Chairman of NexBank, Cornerstone Healthcare, and CCS Medical; and also serves as a board member of MGM Studios.
News about James Dondero:
- Inaugural Highland Capital Lecture at the George W. Bush Presidential Center Explores Disruptive Technologies’ Effect on the Global Economy
- Highland Capital Management’s James Dondero Named 2018 ReuNight Honorary Chair
- John “Tig” Tiegen Speaks at Highland Capital Management Warrior and First Responder Reunion
- Bush Center Starts Off 2018 with Pair of $10 Million Gifts from Highland Capital, Boeing
- Hippos, Hippos, Hooray! Dallas Zoo Opens New $14 Million Exhibit
- The Family Place Announces $1 Million Challenge Grant
- Making Bold Bets on Alternative Investments—and Winning
- James Dondero Teams Up with Dallas Civic Leader Linda Owen to Expand Highland Capital Management’s Charitable Giving
- Bloomberg – James David Dondero CFA, CPA
- Insider Monkey’s Recent News Featuring James Dondero
- NexPoint Residential Trust, Inc. Appoints Arthur Laffer and James Dondero to Board of Directors